Messages From Mike: Episode 3
Mike James | April 28, 2020 | Blog
Virginia – Chesapeake Bay Restoration
It has been a long couple of weeks and we hope everyone is doing well. Just as states begin to open up, we are seeing agencies getting tougher on enforcement, with a focus on sampling violations. This is low-hanging fruit because of the new digital submissions of reports. Please make sure your facility is keeping up with all required sampling parameters and submission periods. The Virginia sampling period ends on June 30th and all Discharge Monitoring Reports (DMRs) must be submitted on or before July 10th. VADEQ is understanding that not all facilities are operating at 100% with several changes being brought on by COVID-19, but they are asking that all facilities do their best to remain compliant and, if there is an issue you cannot address because of the virus, you must provide documentation to VADEQ immediately to avoid penalties.
Virginia State Policies Updated March 31, 2020
If full compliance is not possible due to rational COVID-19-related impacts, facilities with environmental compliance obligations should communicate regularly with DEQ and:
- Act responsibly under the circumstances to minimize the effects and duration of any noncompliance caused by COVID-19.
- Identify the specific nature and dates of noncompliance.
- Identify how COVID-19 was the cause of noncompliance.
- Immediately share with DEQ the decisions and actions taken in response, including best efforts to comply and steps taken to come into compliance.
- Return to compliance as soon as possible.
- Document and maintain all related documentation on site for at least three years.
Stay Safe Out There!